Saturday, March 23, 2019

SPLC's Richard Cohen

o
 Cohen, February 2013, holding the Oscar the SPLC won for a documentary, almost 15 years ago.
     He's resigned now, leaving after the co-founder of the Southern Poverty Law Center, Morris Dees, was ousted. Cohen wrote on Friday:

“Whatever problems exist at the S.P.L.C. happened on my watch, so I take responsibility for them,” Mr. Cohen wrote.

       You have to give him credit for at least that. Now they've brought in a investigator, Tina Tchen, who was chief of staff to Michelle Obama, to find out if the rumors of discriminatory and sexist behavior inside were true.
     But the damage may be done. Look, if you dare, at the comments below any of the recent media stories. The attack dogs have sprung, having been provided more than ample ammunition by the very people who were supposed to have lived and led to a higher standard. 

 

1 comment:

  1. I think everyone should slow down and take a deep breath. The Center has done great work. That cannot be challenged. They remind us constantly that racism is bad and should not be ignored. It is my belief that introspection at this time in the life of the Center is a positive. The Center will be better for it.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
I was born in The Bronx, but have lived in Alabama since 1976. I semi-retired on April 30th 2019, the 50th Anniversary of my first (radio) broadcast. I have since started a Part-Time job as a docent in The Alabama Capitol Building.