Sunday, June 9, 2019

Vietnam, 1970.

The Base at Quang Tri was surrounded by a series of  60 foot or so guard towers. Bunkers were positioned between them to complete the base perimeter.
 
Me during Monsoon season, Wet, wet, wet.

     During the first half of my year in 'Nam, I was assigned to a media office and was required to do guard duty. 
     One night I was on tower duty with two other soldiers, each of us taking three hour shifts, watching with night-vision binoculars for any enemy. 
     My memory tells me we had M-16s, but no ammo for the weapons.         
     Apparently they knew better than to provide people who's real job was clerk or cook with a loaded high power military rifles.
     There's more to the the story of that night, but I'm saving it for the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
I was born in The Bronx, but have lived in Alabama since 1976. I semi-retired on April 30th 2019, the 50th Anniversary of my first (radio) broadcast. I have since started a Part-Time job as a docent in The Alabama Capitol Building.