Tuesday, June 16, 2020

Big Tree Down

This tree was cut down at the corner of Hull And Felder in Montgomery on property owned by Trinity Presbyterian Church. The church recently landscaped the property.

      I'm betting the tree pre-dated the church--which was first built at the turn of the last century:

"In 1909, the Church moved from its downtown location to the rapidly growing Garden District south of the downtown area. A new sanctuary was completed on the corner of Hull Street and Felder Avenue in March 1913."... "In 1951, the Church and city were shaken when the Sanctuary burned. Two firemen were killed during the blaze. Much of the original structure was saved, however, and the Church quickly rebuilt the Sanctuary, employing the Georgian style of architecture.





The tree had some growth, but that may be an indication that the main trunk was dead, or dying.


No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
I was born in The Bronx, but have lived in Alabama since 1976. I semi-retired on April 30th 2019, the 50th Anniversary of my first (radio) broadcast. I have since started a Part-Time job as a docent in The Alabama Capitol Building.