Saturday, May 14, 2022

Beautiful Dual Canterleavered Stairs




 These beautiful staircases at the main entrance to the Alabama Capitol building in Montgomery are an excellent example of cantilevered stairs, stairs with no seeming support beneath them.

Horace King used his bridge-building experience in designing and building the double sets of stairs connecting the three stories of the 1851 Alabama Capitol.

 

 

(P.S. It's my new workplace---I'm a part-time docent, giving tours of the building a few days a week.) 

 

NOTE: Today, May 28th, is the anniversary of Horace King's death in 1885.

More Stair photos:



 


No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
I was born in The Bronx, but have lived in Alabama since 1976. I semi-retired on April 30th 2019, the 50th Anniversary of my first (radio) broadcast. I have since started a Part-Time job as a docent in The Alabama Capitol Building.